"The stars may fall, but God's promises will stand and be fulfilled."
- J.I Packer

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

What's the difference




It's a typical day on a normal Tuesday trying to scramble between the overindulging crowd of teenagers in Spring Woods High School. As usual I'm practically jogging to cross the campus to get to my class on the other side. Like I said everything was normal. Or so I thought. I was near the corner to my destination when a girl stops me and tells me, "Your backpack is open, your backpack is all opened. Let me help you." She grabs my backpack and zips it closed rapidly and hurries away to her classroom, I thanked her wholeheartedly while she just took it as if it was a normal thing. What she didn't realize is that she opened up a whole new perspective of how I saw things.

On my way to class I passed more than 50 people, yet none of them managed or cared to tell me that my backpack was open. Instead I walked all across campus with my bag open (thankfully nothing fell out) and no one at all took at least one second to warn me. It may seem like a indifferent detail, but it shows how selfish people can be. This girl, even though she was in a hurry, she took the time to not only tell me but even zipped up my bag without me telling her to do so. How many people would do that? How many people would care? By the fact that I was almost to my destination and no one else told me anything, that would make that not many people actually cared. 

In my personal opinion, I would have done the exact same thing that this girl did to me, perhaps I may not know the person but I'll help them. I like helping people because it comes within my heart to do so, without expecting anything in return. I guess that's why I hadn't noticed before that not many people would actually hold the door for a girl if she's passing by or why people bump into you but not many utter even a slight, "Sorry." 

What happened to the "Golden Rule"? Treat others like you would want to be treated?

What's your opinion? If you saw someone's (a stranger's) backpack open would you let them know?

2 comments:

  1. It's always nice to see people be kind to others, but do you think that not enough people are as polite as they could be? When you talked about how you passed over fifty students and none of them put it any time or effort to tell you about you backpack it made me wonder, how much and how often do we care about others? I personally think that every person is selfish and their is no such thing as a, "selfless act." There is a price for everything. Even if someone does something for another person, they also feel good about themselves, and the, "Golden Rule" proves this. If we want to be good to others simply because we want to be treated nice as a reward for being, "good," doesn't that make us selfish? That's just the way I see things. Maybe there are some, "good" people out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that's actually quite true Justin humanity is selfish in it's own way. I've come to learn that even with good intentions people can be selfish in some way or another, that's just humans nature unfortunately. I mean it all started way back in the Garden of Eden when Eve told Adam to eat the forbidden fruit and of course he ate it. And what happened? When God asked for an explanation he said, "She offered it to me." That marked the beginning of the way that we blame others for our mistakes, act for our own benefit and the list goes on and on. You have a good perspective of the topic and that's pretty awesome.

      Delete